Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sunday Morning Buckwheat Pancakes

It's funny but one year I asked for buckwheat flour for Christmas. I still have some in my freezer because everyone gave me a bag of it. I am someone who always wants to know I will be able to have another meal but that's another story. I'm still in a pancake making phase. Today being Sunday I was able to make them and have my husband here with me to enjoy them. There's a huge amount leftover which he will bring to work for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. We are grain people, we live on my sourdough bread as toast, pancakes, popcorn and lots of stir fried vegetables and fruit. We have meat and chicken and fish occasionally, mostly as a spice. This is growing season but I am no farmer! I might grow a pot of basil and maybe a pot of tomatoes but you will find me indoors baking bread and swimming laps all summer.

3 Tbs corn oil
2 cups of flour -a blend of buckwheat flour and cornmeal
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs

I added 1/4 cup of orange juice to thin the batter. The maple syrup brought out the orange flavor!
note:
At tea time we ate the leftovers cold from the fridge and the orange juice flavor was very pronounced. They were fantastic, like a soft cookie.

0 comments: