Friday, October 12, 2012

Writers and Coffee

I woke up thinking about my favorite French Lessons book from 8th grade in 1975, Lessons D'Aujord'Hui. I used to have a copy but I found at a yard sale. I loaned it to an acquaintance who lost it. I have hunted on the internet and my search will continue.
I ended up looking at photographs of France and reading quotes about coffee.

I do much of my creative thinking while golfing. If people know you're working at home they think nothing of walking in for a cup of coffee, but wouldn't dream of interrupting on the golf course.
-Harper Lee

Coffee: Induces wit. Good only if it comes through Havre. After a big dinner party it is taken standing up. Take it without sugar -- very swank: gives the impression you have lived in the East.
-Gustave Flaubert

As soon as coffee is in your stomach, there is a general commotion. Ideas begin to move...similes arise, the paper is covered Coffee is your ally and writing ceases to be a struggle.
-Honore de Balzac

English coffee tastes like water that has been squeezed out of a wet sleeve.
-Fred Allen

Black coffee must be strong and very hot; if strong coffee does not agree with you, do not drink black coffee. And if you do not drink black coffee, do not drink any coffee at all.
-Andre Simon

In a sad world, and especially in a country like ours, recently and constitutionally deprived of wine ... the function of coffee in bringing serene delight is an important one.
-Boston Transcript, 1923

Just around the corner,
There's a rainbow in the sky.
So let's have another cup o' coffee,
And let's have another piece o' pie.
-Irving Berlin, 1932

Coffee: creative lighter fluid.
-Floyd Maxwell

0 comments: