Friday, November 2, 2012

Impulsive Cookery

I make no sense. I wanted a salvation army dress that I spotted in the window and ended up with a roaster chicken. It's roasting now with a whole lemon in the cavity. The chicken cutlets were the last two (on sale) in the butcher shop. So I got them and chopped them into cubes and I am stewing them with celery, onions, apples, pumpkin, olives, lemons, limes, garlic, capers, scallions, raisins, and a few prunes all in my army crock pot with salt, water, a cup of orange juice, and olive oil. I threw in red chili peppers, black pepper, salt, turmeric, cumin, oregano. I don't make decisions the way a normal cook would. I do things based on what needs to be used and what shouts at me when I open the fridge. Yes, I really do hear the vegetables speaking. My stews look like a batch of wet laundry because I throw things in whole.

We can't afford to turn on the heat so baking and cooking is the best way to get warm.

Update:
I've added broccoli. This soup tastes delicious. It tastes tropical. The lime tells my brain that there's coconut in it but there isn't.

0 comments: