Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I Love Cheese!

Years ago as part of research for the story of milk, I got to visit an Italian cheese plant in Providence. The owner greeted me with a hair net and mask. I had a blast looking around and tasting. I gave him a big brown paper bag full of my warm sourdough loaves. Who knew aged cheeses were being made in Providence factory using Munroe Dairy's finest milk.

Cheese can still play an important role in your diet. New research finds that most people who are lactose intolerant can digest some milk sugar, and thus enjoy some dairy foods daily, especially hard cheeses.

Most of the lactose found in cheese is removed with the whey during the manufacturing process. Most ripened cheeses, such as Cheddar and Swiss, contain about 95% less lactose than whole milk. Aged cheeses contain almost no lactose - only 0.4-1 gram of lactose per ounce. Processed cheeses contain about 0.5-4 grams per ounce.
source

0 comments: