Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Orion in the 3AM Sky

I have not heard from the pear people who I wrote a letter to asking if I can harvest the abandoned pears. I might have to knock on the door or ring their bell, or skip it! The pears are amazing huge and delicious. They are wild and tastier than the ones groomed for sale at the supermarket. They are falling and rotting in their driveway.

The big yellow maple tree leaves are falling!

We made a lazy supper last night: my bread toasted with my best home made tomato sauce on top with Pecorino Romano cheese sprinkled on top. It was fast and good!

One more friend has decided to tell me that wheat is the reason for her life of misery. As a bread baker I am saddened. Bread is my medium for love, gratitude and friendship. I bake wholegrain sourdough loaves every week. I give bread as gifts for happy sad and unexplained occasions of bliss. I believe in the power of bread! Now I sound like Dr. Bronner's soap label.

My Providence friends, the Vennerbeck's believe in the power of pie to restore friendships, community disputes, and dissipate friction.
"You can't sustain a conflict when gathered at the table eating pie!" They said.

I believe if we shared home cooked food and hand made music with our local and global neighbors we wouldn't have war.

My San Francisco sourdough starter has been kept alive in my fridge for 13 years. I am curious, are middle aged women in Southeast Asia deciding rice is the reason for their misery? My friend rides her horse through an apple orchard but won't reach up to grab an apple because of the orchard uses spray pesticides. One friend has become vegan, one more friend vegetarian.

I love to make yogurt from local milk, and shop at my butcher shop. I can't help but wonder, are people, especially women, looking for a reason to be deprived? Do we have too many choices, as my Iranian college room mate used to say. Why not give up your car and take up the bicycle and eat freely and with abandon!

Where is Carolyn Knapp to write so eloquently on these things?

0 comments: