Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cast Iron

I always wanted to go camping not to camp necessarily but to bake and cook on my cast iron pots over an open fire in the woods. I have had a romance with cast iron since I was 13 and started collecting cast iron frying pans at the Brimfield Flea Market. When I was 13 I couldn't wait to live on my own. I imagined my future in a small rainy day apartment in Philadelphia with hanging spider plants, cats, a dog, and Joni Mitchell songs playing on my record player. I imagined the freedom of having my own life without the controlling neurosis of my mother.

Nearly 40 years later my cast iron collection has quadrupled and includes irons and shoe feet. Even my sewing machine is cast iron. My husband says he's made of cast iron and I believe him! He's a ruster and a sinker.

0 comments: