Saturday, October 6, 2012

Early

I slept late compared to the past few weeks. I got up at 4. By 6AM I was hungry. After eating the last 2 biscotti, I made waffled eggs using our neighbors Jeff and Francine's backyard chicken eggs and a few spoonfuls of my home made cultured sour cream. The waffled omelet took only 4 minutes once the griddle was hot and ready. I sprinkled the eggs with Adobo seasoning. I made toast that I spread with margarine and sprinkled cinnamon all accompanied by a tiny vintage Dunkin Donuts mug of hot black coffee. Remember when they used small porcelain mugs? I do! My friend's dad in NY designed the 1970's D+D logo. Our local D+D was on Boston Post Road in Mamaroneck.

My Woonsocket kitchen looks like a diner. It's a hallway with 1960's vintage birch cupboards and curvy robins egg Formica. The house was built in 1888 so the 1960's kitchen was considered modern especially equipped with a state of the art Thermador in the wall oven speckled enamel inside and there's a vintage Kitchen Aid dishwasher. The gaskets have rotted 30 years ago - but I don't care, I love washing dishes by hand and always have. It was one of my first jobs - being a dishwasher at ALFORNO's a fancy Italian restaurant in Providence. I phoned home to tell my mother in NY, "I love my new dish washing job!"
"You'll never amount to anything if you like dish-washing," she screamed.
Perhaps it's true.

The neighborhood is still asleep but my cat and dog are eagerly eating the falling waffled omelet crumbs especially since the second one got stuck. I forgot to grease the griddle. I am a messy cook.

My neighborhood is Coney-Island for the weekend. Soon the WWII park will be humming with lights and rides and kids who have waited all year for something good to come to town.

My neighbor just came out and blew his nose off his third floor porch. Another neighbor has just let his gray and white fat male pit-bull out to pee and poop behind the basketball hoop. Never a dull moment.

0 comments: