Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cookbooks

I love cookbooks. Laurie Colwin said they tell us how to live. Today the air and light and temps feels like Martha's Vineyard. I haven't been there since I was a kid when I ran away at 16 and got a job at The Black Dog Bakery and the neighboring Back Dog Restaurant baking by day and mopping at night. I got two jobs in three days and lived there for ten days! Today I was looking at cookbook I found for 25 cents at Woonsocket's junk store on Main Street. I found a recipe for baked potato chips. Just what I needed after marching jamming and dancing in two three mile parades playing my baritone sax. "I'm hungry!!" I love the down home recipes based on fresh local ingredients. The authors are clever, resourceful and appreciative. All you need to make these is an oven, a cast iron pot, potatoes, olive oil, and Kosher salt.
Amen!

0 comments: