Friday, October 24, 2008

Soap

I love washing dishes. I immediately relax when my hands are in warm water as if my whole body is immersed. People never believe me unless they get to know me. I tell them it's like a swimming pool for my hands. One of my favorite jobs was washing dishes for a fancy Italian restarant in Providence. I loved my job! I remember excitedly phoning my mother in New York to tell her but she was not pleased.
"You'll never amount to anything if you like washing dishes!" She screamed. I have found this to be the contrary. I get my best ideas while washing dishes and so did Virginia Wolf. I feel sorry for the people who miss out on this sacred time. I am also obsessed with scents and soaps; both mine and other peoples. I am like a bloodhound; a smell is a universe to me. I can identify laundry soaps of strangers who walk by me on the street. Recently we ran out of the soap we had bought years ago in gallon jugs by the case from our food co-op. I was both panicked and excited to know I would be shopping for a new scent of soap.

0 comments: