Monday, October 27, 2008

Millet Appreciation

I am baking the leftover chicken carcass with bones and skin in four quarts of water in my covered cast iron Dutch oven. I feel safer baking in a 350 degree oven than on my stove top. Because I am often working upstairs while cooking downstairs and running in and out with my dog it is safer for me to use my oven. This will make a great chicken stock when I strain out the bones and fat. I've just added a whole bulb of garlic, some fresh cilantro, and a few teaspoons of Kosher salt. On the top shelf of my oven I baked a pot of millet in my baby dutch oven. Both smell amazing and I have already eaten a few bowls of the millet salted and buttered. It's soooo good!! Millet is loaded with important vitamins; B1 and B2, niacin, vitamin E, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium. I found this out from reading the chart in my Nutrition Almanac by Lavon J.Dunne published by Mcgraw Hill. Why isn't there a millet appreciation day! For the grain and the painter.

1 Comment

A girl I know said...

Never tried millet...maybe tomorrow after midnight. Thanks for the tip.