Saturday, February 7, 2015

International Cooking + Baking

I love to grocery shop at Price Rite and see what people are buying. At our market most people are home cooks. You can tell by glancing in their carts. One Indian couple bought lots of spinach, oranges grapes. A group of Mexican guys who I recognize from my street bought fresh jalepenos and pork butt and tortillas. One Jamaican lady had her hair wrapped in a turban made of colorful fabric she had a huge pile of fresh colorful fruits apples oranges grapefruits bananas and she was buying sour cream. I bought leeks, kale, oranges, apples, grapefriut, bananas, dried garbanzo beans, split peas, a pound bag of 16 beans dried, half sour BaTempte Jewish pickles, apple cider (we ferment it), scallions, a case of plain seltzer, and more.

I just discovered nonfat cottage cheese with pepperincini is excellent snack. I used to eat it with cling peaches when I was a kid as an after school snack.

I bought double smoked garlic sausage from the Polish Smokehouse around the corner on Social Street. The woman remembered me from Christmas eve. The woman remembered that I bake bread too. She makes sourdough rye. We chatted about loving the snow because we shovel and bake at the same time!

When I arrived home we ate bread mustard sausage pickles for a snack.

If I'm going to get snowed in I want to be cooking and baking not just shoveling.

0 comments: