Tuesday, January 5, 2016

There was Nothing in the House

There was nothing in the house except a bag of lentils so I rinsed them and put them in the pot and added water. I found carrots and celery in the fridge and four onions in the basket and a bulb of garlic. I chopped them and added them too. There was a six inch chunk of smoked sausage left over from Christmas eve in the cheese drawer so I cubed it and added it to the pot. I opened a can of crushed tomatoes and poured it in with some olive oil. I threw in a chunk of ginger root. Pretty soon the soup pot was overflowing so I got out another. Half of the soup was in the slow cooker and the other half was baking in my dutch oven. I took a long walk in the cold with Lily and watched the sun set over the pond. When I arrived back home my hands and feet were numb but the house smelled amazing. I ate a bowl of the soup and decided to add the last of the hard cider to it. It was fantastic.

0 comments: